Sunday, January 23, 2011

{ DIY: Chic White Fruit Display }

In our dining room, we've been keeping our fruit in a woven basket with hand-towels. At first, when I was very much into the 'farm look' I was all for it - and glad to have not spent one penny on the set-up which really was pretty charming. However...as you read previously - I'm so into modern/simplifying with a touch of whimsy now. I am not.at.all into the very odd mod colors like browns with orange, that weird military green or greys with red. YUCK. (sorry if thats your decor) I'm all for the very types of colors you see here on the blog = bright and happy, with just a touch of nostalgia. <3

Anyhoot, I've been looking for a cake stand - turned fruit display for about two months now. Mostly at thrift stores because anything resembling it is at least $20 bucks elsewhere. Plus! I wanted to try my hand at transforming an object by paint. Last night I was at Savers (a thrift shop).

FINALLY. There.It.Was. I snatched that thing so fast off the shelf I'm sure the person next to me probably thought I was possessed. I couldn't believe I found it and pretty much floated through the store to the registers with a huge smile of glee plastered on my face. So! Below is the DIY for turning a cake stand into a chic fruit display. Enjoy!

Chic White Fruit Display

Supplies:

1)  Medium Sized Paint Brush
2) White Acrylic or Interior Paint (Used: Behr's White on White Interior Paint Sample Size, $3 @ Home Depot, both non-toxic)
3) Newspaper or Paper Bag for surface protection
4) Food-Friendly Gloss Lacquer for Acrylics or Interiors to seal the paint and create shine. (Home Depot) Must be used outside where ample ventilation is present.



















1) Cover in the first coat of paint. Let dry. (You can lightly sandpaper before you begin painting to hold the paint better, but I didn't here)

After it drys it will look like this:


















TIP: Its good to lift your project up after its been painted to avoid the paint gluing the paper on the bottom to your project.

2) Apply a second coat of paint and repeat until dark wood undertones are no longer visible. (This project took 4 coats total) Let dry.

3) Cover project once in a food-friendly coat of gloss lacquer for paint sealant and shine. (still need to do this myself, not pictured, ooops!)

Enjoy your new creation!







































This project was super fun and super easy! I painted it 4 times within 3 hours the night before and the next morning it was totally dry, and if I had the gloss lacquer I could have swiped a coat on very easily! Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment