Monday, January 24, 2011

{ Gypsies: Trendy Thrifts - Dishes }



















Have I mentioned how much Saver's feels like my best friend? I spend wayyyyyyyy too much time there. (Its embarrassing). Over the last 5 months I've collected pieces that one day, I hoped, would make up the perfect table setting. Well, patience is a virtue my friends. Yes, indeed.

.....Okay, your bug eyes are scaring me. You can't do this you say? Your brain is already going into overload? Don't even break a sweat: Its super super easy. (And fun!) Go on your next scavenger hunt with these few simple tips and you'll walk out of there with your hands full of precious goodies!

1) Look for unique patterns

2) Look for your favorite colors but complementary colors. (Pictured is: White, sanded red, sea-spray green, canary yellow and robins egg blue) But, you could do this with many many color combinations.

3) Buy in bulk. Make sure there are enough in each set to work.
    I found:

  •  6 Large white dinner plates - 2 different designs totaling 3 each
  •  3 sanded red salad plates
  •  3 white salad plates
  •  3 sea-spray green appetizer plates
  •  3 sailor's stripe blue and white appetizer plates
  •  6 robin's egg blue dessert plates
  •  6 Elegant sipping glasses
           (I gave these names to the plates because they were thrifted :)

4) Check for dings, rust stains, chips or (worst of all!) cracks. 

5) As you build, remember to mix solids with prints for balance and aesthetic (see picture below).

6) Relax! Collect over time. :) Start with whichever sized plate strikes your fancy and build from there. 

Below I've collaged the pieces I've bought, marked with corresponding numbers and their price. (Just click to enlarge.)


































1) Small Serving Plate/Butter-knife Plate in Canary Yellow - $2.99 (splurge)
2) Large Rose Garden Pattern Dinner Plate in White - $1.49 ea
3) Medium Salad Plate in Sanded Red - $.49 ea
4) Small Appetizer Plate in Sea Spray - $.29 ea
5) Large Water Ripple Pattern Dinner Plate in White - $1.49 ea
6) Medium Rose Garden Pattern Salad Plate in White - $.49 ea
7) Small Appetizer Plate in Sailor's Stripe Blue and White - $.29 ea
8) Medium Dessert Plate in Robin's Egg Blue - $.49 ea
9) Medium Elegant Sipping Glass - $.69 ea

Also, this is our home decor now for spring. I can't wait for the warm sunshine on my skin and baby birds on the lawn!





Happy Spring and Happy Thrifting!!! I want to hear all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment